Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Getting to Phoenix

It took about twelve hours from the time we got to the airport in Frankfurt to the time we got off the plane in Philly. First, something happened to the subway and we were stuck in a full car for about 15 minutes. Not a good thing for a person like me who can't handle multitudes and enclosed places. We did make it to the airport in time but had to run the whole time to get to the ticket counter then to the gate. Once over Philly skies, the pilot had to circle the airport for about an hour due to the freezing rain they were having.

We were really concerned about missing our flight to Las Vegas, but we rushed to the gate and made it only because that flight was late leaving Philly. It was also a full flight filled with people coming to Phoenix for the superbowl. Chris and I were supposed to sit in aisle seats across from each other, but oddly enough, his row was the only one on the plane with just him. Supposedly the two people who were in his row missed the flight. I was able to move over, stretch out and sleep for a couple of hours.

We figured we would lose our flight to Phoenix from Vegas since we were an hour late leaving Philly and only had 30 minutes in between flights. We had a pretty smooth flight and got to Vegas with only five minutes before the flight to Phoenix was taking off - we rushed off the plane as quickly as we could and literally ran like crazy to the gate, jumped on the flight and they immediately closed the door behind us. We were about a minute or two from missing this flight and were thrilled to know that in one more hour we would be home!

As soon as we got to Phoenix Chris and I split. He took off to pick-up the car at a garage in the vicinity of the airport. I, once again, headed to the Luggage Tracking desk. We assumed there was no way our luggage was on this flight since we got off the Philly plane and ran to this one. I didn't even bother with the carousel. I got the tracking receipt, was told by the attendant that they would deliver my bags around 8:00 the following morning and I went outside to wait for Chris. About five minutes later and before Chris got back to the airport, I happened to glance inside a saw one of the luggage carriers moving a large cart with about 20 pieces of luggage ready to be stored, and sure enough, my two bags were in it!

I went back inside to talk to the attendant and he explained that my bags mistakenly went directly from Philly to Phoenix instead of being sent with us on our Vegas flight. Very odd how this day worked out...but what a blessing! On the flight from Philly to Vegas Chris and I had hoped that we would make just two more things, our flight to Phoenix and get our luggage... We made both!!!

We were so thankful to be home safe, sound AND sane. Everything at home was in order and we were thrilled to be able to sleep in our own bed, get a good night sleep, work on the jet-lag and start working on all the paperwork we need to gather for our next trip. Now we are praying for a quick court date and very excited about doing it all over again to bring Alex home ASAP. We have been told that thewaiting time between trips was the worst and they were right...this stinks! We want our little guy now and not knowing when we are going back really does stink!


kelly said...

I will be praying for a speedy trip #2 for you all,the waiting is such a hard time.BUt soon you will be home with Alex and the waiting will be a distant memory

Anonymous said...

I am praying for a quick second trip for you two! Thank you for sharing your journey with me. You are both an inspiration!

Many Hugs,

Maribeth said...

Yes, waiting does stink, but the second trip will arrive before you know's a little nerve-wracking perhaps. When Kelly went to Perm for the second trip for Ulia, we were there for a second trip for our son, almost 3. Roma was responsible for our first true interaction with our son since he was very shy of strangers. He is now almost 4...what a transformation for him and us! It has been an amazing trip every day! Best wishes to you...your posts really brought back alot of memories. Hoping you can get to Perm swiftly!

E. M.Kaminski said...

Thank you all :) Keep us on your prayers...